Re: [OpenMap Users] Moving the map like Google

From: F.Bayliss <bayliss_at_alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:08:43 -0400
yes.

Some people are very impatient
.

Rob Ratcliff wrote:
F.Bayliss wrote:
Thanks Rob.

I've tried variations of #1 and #2 and the delay in creating the image isn't acceptable by management.
Translating the snapshot of the map should be very fast. Are you saying they don't like the time it takes to update the final image once you release the mouse?

Except for the delay it worked well. I've thought about #3 but wasn't sure of the best approach. If they still insist on having me work on this I'll look into this idea.

Thanks
Frank

Rob Ratcliff wrote:
I think Google maps just loads image tiles around the current projection so when you translate, the images are already there and makes it look smooth.

Here are few ideas you might try:

1.) cache the image buffer between panel resizes and reuse it

2.) create a layer or mousemode that takes a image snapshot of the current map and then translate the image to the new locations during the mouse drag and the notify the layers to update after the mouse button is released or modify each layer to draw a cached offscreen image during mouse movements and recalculate upon mouse up.

3.) If you don't like the the idea of translating an image with the resulting unrendered gaps that show up, you could keep track of dirty areas and the only recalulate those regions. NetBeans chart code had some high performance ways of translating the chart in time and only updating the new deltas which may be useful (with some surgery):
http://www.netbeans.org/source/browse/profiler/libs/jfluid-ui/src/org/netbeans/lib/profiler/ui/charts/SynchronousXYChart.java?rev=1.1&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

-- [To unsubscribe to this list send an email to "majdart_at_bbn.com" with the following text in the BODY of the message "unsubscribe openmap-users"] Received on Thu Apr 10 2008 - 11:19:39 EDT