Re: [OpenMap Users] Loading OpenMap with Java Web Start

From: David Ward <synriga_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:30:32 -0700 (PDT)

Danny,

We deploy our OpemMap based application using Java Web Start.

We use the MapBean (not the OpenMap app) within our application, several OpenMap layers, plus a slew of custom layers. Due to the size of our CADRG data sets (some >1GB) we elected to have users "install" the data sets locally. We initialize the RPFLayer with the locations of the data sets by canvasing predefined locations. All RPF data sets are included allowing multiple scales (ONC, TPF, etc) to be available for rendering.

We haven't had the time yet, but we have thought of extending the RPF layer to acquire the RPF data set from an http server. The data would be cached locally. Tiles, of course, would be downloaded on an as needed basis avoiding the need to download the complete data set.But once downloaded, the layer would enjoy the benefit of local access to the data sets.

Cheers,
David