[OpenMap Users] Issues with Drawing Layers

From: Shawn McNaughton <shawngmc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:14:17 -0400

First off, I'd just like to pass on my appriciation for OpenMap having such
a well-defined API and good documentation. Compared to many other
components, it's been a pleasure to work with.

I'm integrating OpenMap into an application whic previously had another map
(a slow JOGL-based one). I'm nearly done, but I'm running into a couple of
odd issues.

(1) Whenever I zoom out too far, I get a blank map display, or one that only
has the very edges drawn on.
(2) Sometimes, for no appearant reason (no console entry, etc.), some of the
top-most map layers simply don't draw.

We've added OpenMap in two places, and we've seen these issues in both. The
simpler of the two implementations consists of a shapefile layer for
landmasses, a shapefile layer for country borders, and finally a custom
PlugInLayer to draw a box when the user selects a pre-defined area from a
list. I'm using the LLXY projection.

For the first issue, if I use the mouse wheel to zoom out as far as
possible, it always happens. I don't have the exact getScale() value, but I
can get it if need be. Can I set a maximum scale (using Proj.setMaxScale)to
work around this? If so, what is a safe value for the maximum scale?

For the second issue, about 20% of the time, when I open the window with
this map, it will not draw correctly. It may appear fine until I try to add
the OMRect to the topmost layer, or the 'country borders' shapefile may not
appear. If the borders do not draw, the boxes never will. I've not delved
into the layerHandler code, but I suspect that the shapefile layers are not
completely drawing, even if they look OK.

As a bonus question: I've seen the scale of the map mention in the FAQ,
where it relates to an arbitrary value from an old Sun monitor. Is there any
way to convert this into a more useful value - say, for example, an
approximate altitude? Our customer has told us that they will want 'other
mapping options', and they'll need to be able to communicate things like
projection information.
Thanks in advance,
Shawn
--
Shawn McNaughton
Systems Engineer I, Raytheon IIS State College