[OpenMap Users] OMEllipse question

From: Davidian <kroberts_at_syrres.com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

I'm displaying OMEllipses on my map, and after talking with users of the
software, I think that my assumptions about how this class works are
incorrect.

To construct an OMEllipse (with the constructor I'm using) you pass in the
following:

1) A LatLonPoint that is the center point
2) A double that is the major axis span
3) A double that is the minor axis span
4) A Length object that is the unit being used (Meter in our case)
5) A double that is the rotation angle (or what we call "Orientation")

In the following image you see an OMEllipse I created with an orientation of
45.0:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p17515338/orientation_45.png

This does not seem correct to me. In order for this image to be correct,
that would mean that the "starting point" from which the ellipse was rotated
(i.e., north) would be along the minor axis.

I've alway thought that the point from which the rotation occurs is along
the major axis.

It looks like OpenMap's default way of drawing an OMEllipse (i.e., with a
rotation angle of 0.0) is to place the major axis (longer) along the
east/west plane, and the minor axis along the north/south plane.

If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. My software needs to
the orientation plane to be parallel (not perpenducular) to the major axis.

Thanks,

Kennedy