[OpenMap Users] openmap null pointer exception

From: Jay D. Askren <jda_at_quantumleap.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:15:13 -0400

I have a bug report on com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.ShapeLayer. I'm
using version 4.64 of Openmap. I specify a spatial index for a shape
file. Unfortunately, I haven't generated the spatial index yet so it
doesn't exist yet. The control flow goes through line 192 of
ShapeLayer. SpatialIndex.locateAndSetShapeData(shapeFileName,
spatialIndexFileName) returns null because the index file is not there.
Then in line 206, we try to set the dbf on the spatialIndex. This
throws a null pointer exception which then causes Openmap to crash. It
would be nice if the there was a check for null or an extra catch so at
least Openmap would recover appropriately.

Jay