[OpenMap Users] int/float -> double?

From: Tore Halset <halset_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 23:19:49 +0200

Hello.

I am doing some projection/coordinate type of work in OpenMap, and
would like to extend precision.

1) LatLonPoint internals from float to double.
The performance gain of using float is minimal and some users need the
extra precision. Searching the list, this request has been made from
time to time at least back to 2003 when I subscribed.

2) switch out java.awt.Point (int) with java.awt.geom.Point2D (double)
in Proj.
At first, it seems logical to use a int x,y point to represent a point
on the screen or in a generated map image. However, in various
situations, this is to limited.
* We use OpenMap projection for other things than to draw on a map. In
such situations, we loose a precision by the use of int. We have
worked around this by using our own modified versions of some of the
projection code.
* These days, most graphics systems support antialiasing, to the extra
precision can be used to improve the image.
* Some users may want to draw to graphical vector formats like pdf
(itext) or svg (batik) and let users zoom in.

 From various mails on this list, I have got the impression that this
will be partly/completely done in OpenMap 5 that already exist in some
way in BBNs internal CVS that is a different CVS than the one the rest
of us have access to.

If it would help, I could step in and do some work on this. The
problem is that I think (memory based on messages on this list) that
some of this has already been done by BBN for their internal CVS with
OpenMap 5.

Regards,
  - Tore.