Re: [OpenMap Users] Applet Memory

From: Rob Ratcliff <rrr6399_at_futuretek.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:14:19 -0500

It is possible that the memory leak is due to the ProjectionSupport
class that start a new thread each time it (related to new OpenMap
instances) is created.
http://openmap.bbn.com/mailArchives/openmap-users/2008-04/5764.html

I believe if you run this in the applet viewer or Java 1.6 beta release
10 you can attach to the VM with the NetBeans heap dump analyzer or the
new Visual VM (in JDK > 1.6 r7) to trace down the memory leak, which
will probably related to the orphaned threads if my theory is correct. :-)

Bryant, Jason - AES wrote:
> My war file which is about 12 mb, and has a lot of spatial data.
>
> A simple applet lets the user peruse the map and draw objects and such. I noticed I was getting out of memory exceptions when I would continually reload it in the browser. I put in some code to capture the current amount of heap space used, and noticed that when I had all layers turned 'off' on my map the heap size would increase by 6-10 MBs each reload. When all of the layers defaulted to 'on' then the memory jumped by about 15-18 mb each reload.
>
> Most of my layers are shape file layers, and are loaded in the openmap.properties file when the applet is started up. But even without layers the MapBean seems to be remaining in memory each load until memory climbed up to 500+ mbs and no longer loaded on the JVM. Is this all a known problem with applets, or is it a configuration I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for any help to save the heap.
>
> -Jason
>

> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
> Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.

Rob Ratcliff
FutureTek Net Services
cell: 512-633-5751
office: 512-250-3444