[OpenMap Users] Problems setting up a projection

From: Robert Kosara <robert_at_eagereyes.org>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 21:41:28 -0400

Hello,

   I'm using openmap to read shape files and I'm doing my own
rendering - so I'm not using layers etc, but the projections directly.
My problem is that the projections produce weird results, and I don't
know what I'm doing wrong.

   I'm creating a Mercator projection (either directly or using
ProjectionFactory, doesn't seem to make a difference) with the center
in decimal degrees (58.17360, -96.21688), a scale factor of about 5
(also tried 1), and a width and height of 400 pixels. Projecting the
point (23.010168, -116.91656) results in the projected coordinates
(200, -206577832).

   What am I doing wrong? These should all be decimal degrees, right?
Do I need another scale factor? I tried using a scale factor of
10,000,000, but that only compressed everything in the x direction.
What else could be wrong? I'm using the forward function with two
floats and a Point).

Regards,

Robert