Re: [OpenMap Users] Experiences with OpenMap and WMS

From: Tore Halset <halset_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 23:33:20 +0100

Hello.

I am using OpenMap WMS Server, but not OpenMap WMS Plugin.

On Nov 1, 2008, at 19:48, Robert Ratcliff wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We’re looking into using a WMS-compliant server like Geoserver or
> MapServer in conjunction with OpenMap. It appears from the code and
> documentation that the current OpenMap plug-in only supports simple
> image requests. I was wondering if you all would be nice enough to
> provide some feedback on the following questions:
>
> 1.) What kind of successes and problems have you had with the
> current OpenMap WMS Plugin?

My main problem with it is the lack of projection handling. The WMS
Layer/PlugIn should be able to know about the SRS of the current view
and use the GetCapabilities-response to find the best matching SRS.

> 2.) Which WMS server have you had most the success with and why?

I am using OpenMap WMS Server as
1) We already used OpenMap for other non-WMS things
2) It is java. That is why we are not using MapServer
3) GeoServer is GPL and that would not work for us
4) deegree is LGPL, but we ended up with OpenMap for various reasons

The OpenMap WMS is working very nicely. We have done a lot of work on
supporting different coordinate systems/projections and also on the
performance side. Like using fork-join for maximum performance on
multi-core servers.

> 3.) Would you provide examples of other data types that you were
> able to retrieve and display in OpenMap like (DTED, VPF, Shape,
> Geotiff, NITF, CADRG, CIB, etc.)? Did you need to create your own
> support?

We use shape files and our own layers.

Regards,
   - Tore.