RE: [OpenMap Users] Should I use OpenMapFrame instead of JFrame?

From: Jay D. Askren <jda_at_quantumleap.us>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:14:58 -0500

The benefit of using OpenMapFrame is that Open Map has a quite a nice
architecture that is all controlled from a properties file. Just by
changing the properties file, I can control which components are
included in the UI and where they are placed. To change my application,
I don't need recompile it. I could also create several very different
applications just by creating different properties files for each
application, but not needing a different code base. For many
applications, this may be more than you need, but if you need it can be
very nice. Obviously, Netbeans does not have support for editing the
properties file in the GUI Builder. That would be a very nice plugin
though if someone wanted to create one. For our application, Openmap is
only one component, and we need the ability to swap out different map
libraries relatively easy, so we are not using the OpenMapFrame. It all
depends on what your requirements are.

Jay