[OpenMap Users] Need help displaying geo-referenced imagery.

From: Davidian <kroberts_at_syrres.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 06:34:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all.

I'm hoping someone can help me with the problem I am having with displaying
Geo-referenced imagery in OpenMap.

Using tips that I've found on this forum, I've been able to successfully
display GeoTIFF images in OpenMap, and that works fine. My problem is that
the file sizes must be too large because OpenMap takes too long to load
those images. For example, a 27MB GeoTIFF image takes about 20 seconds to
load/display in OpenMap, which is way too long for the users to wait.

My question is this: Does anyone have any tips or information that will
help me do either (or both) of the following?:

1) Make "large-ish" GeoTIFF images load more quickly.

2) Load geo-referenced imagery from a different file format. The person who
provides me with the imagery said that he could get the file sizes down if
we could use GIF, PNG, or JPG file formats, but I'm not sure that those
formats will work. The GeoTIFF file has a corresponding world file (.tfw)
extension which specifies the location of the imagery. Is there such a
thing for these other image formats?

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can provide.

-Kennedy