Re: [OpenMap Users] How can I add a postgis layer in openmap

From: JayDub <justcallmejay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:50:34 -0700 (PDT)

It was my mistake again....
Just a word of advice for anyone who tries this.
Two tips:
1. Make sure when converting shp files that you use the -s SRID option to
set the SRID on the data. This is important. Failure to do this will result
an error about "Operation on different SRIDs"
2. If nothing shows up on the map.. try printing out the query and trying it
in Postgres.

In my case, when I tried the query in postgres I noticed that nothing was
returned. Then I noticed that the data I had was in a different projection.
I confirmed this with QGIS (VERY useful tool by the way).

New Question
Has this class ever been optimized though? I notice that when you move the
layers on the map... the painting is a tad bit weird and inefficient.
Visually you notice the following:
1. It repaints the postgis layer as removed from the map
2. It repaints the postgis layer in the old position
3. It repaints the postgis layer in the new position

So what you get is a flash image. So for example... if you pan left, when
you let go of the map the others layers and painted... the postgis layer
disappears, then right before it is painted in the correct location it is
painted in the old location.

I hope I can find the code that does that. This is extremely inefficient
especially when the SHP file gets large. I tried using a 5MB shp file and
the map became VERY unresponsive.

I have a project coming up where I'll have to be using lots of large shp
files. For each of these shp files, I'll need to query the layers.