[OpenMap Users] Questions on ImageTileLayer

From: Adams Tan <nikida78_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 18:52:58 +0800

Hi all,
I have been playing around with ImageTileLayer and I noticed once I set the
layer to be visible, it will take quite a while (assuming I have a huge 30MB
png sliced into 300 tiles, about 100KB per slice) where I will see small
boxes appearing one by one. At this stage, does the images already get
loaded into the memory heap? If not, why would this process take so long? I
assume that the images are only loaded (on demand) when the current scale
matches the cut-off scale specified, hence, this long delay seems
unnecessary.cale goes lower than what I specified in the cut-off scale,

Another issue that I noticed is the cut off scale does not seems to make
much diff on when the image is actually displayed (pre-loaded or not, i'm
not sure). A setting of 100,000 (default) and 1,000,000 does not seems to
affect when each images are displayed. Often I see partial display of tiles
even though i set the cache size to 50. Sometimes I count the number of
squares and they are lower than the cache size that I set. Shouldn't all the
tiles in the current map view be displayed as long as they are below my
specified cache size?

Thanks,
Adams