[OpenMap Users] shapefile header fields, File Length

From: Reese, Nathan <nreese_at_integrity-apps.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:41:00 -0400

I am having problems opening shapefiles generated with OpenMap using various GIS applications (although the shapefile can be opened in GE and with ArcGIS). The shapefiles can only be opened by all GIS applications by first opening and resaving the file with ArcGIS.

I have compared the orginal .shp file with the ArcGIS updated .shp and have found that the only difference is in the File Length field in the main file header (byte 27). I have tried using the ShapeFile class to display the shapefile header information, but that utility always returns a value of 100 for the File Length. Has any one experienced these types of problems. Does ShpOutputStream properly set the File Length field in the main file header?

Thanks,

Nathan