[OpenMap Users] Applet problem with latest xorg

From: Charles Cossé <ccosse_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 23:30:02 +0000

Hello, At my job I have to use an embedded openmap plugin. I have recently
completed building a new Gentoo Linux box for development. The OpenMap
applet embedded in my application is the only applet in the entire world
that I can find that doesn't work on my system. It's not the demo on
bbn.com -- that one works just fine.

I have tried several versions of firefox: 3.0.11-3.5.7, jdk1.5, jdk1.6 and
even GoogleChrome. The behavior is the same in all of them, basically I get
a gray panel where the map should be rendering.

On more recent browsers and jdk1.6 I run jconsole and the output is this:

==================================

basic: New window ID: c011bb
basic: Value of xembed: 1
basic: Referencing classloader: sun.plugin.ClassLoaderInfo_at_13582d,
refcount=1
basic: setWindow: call before applet exists:c011bb
security: Accessing keys and certificate in Mozilla user profile: null
security: JSS is not configured
basic: Added progress listener:
sun.plugin.util.GrayBoxPainter$GrayBoxProgressListener_at_1cdeff
basic: Loading applet ...
basic: Initializing applet ...
basic: Starting applet ...
basic: completed perf rollup
security: Blacklist revocation check is enabled
cache: Skip blacklist check as cached value is ok.
network: Cache entry found [url:
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil:/pmweb/openmap.jar,
version: null]
network: CleanupThread used 9784 us
network: Connecting https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.jar with
proxy=DIRECT
network: Connecting socket://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil:443 with proxy=DIRECT
security: Loading Root CA certificates from
/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.17/jre/lib/security/cacerts
security: Loaded Root CA certificates from
/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.17/jre/lib/security/cacerts
security: Loading SSL Root CA certificates from
/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.17/jre/lib/security/cacerts
security: Loaded SSL Root CA certificates from
/opt/sun-jdk-1.6.0.17/jre/lib/security/cacerts
security: Loading Deployment SSL certificates from
/home/charlie/.java/deployment/security/trusted.jssecerts
security: Loaded Deployment SSL certificates from
/home/charlie/.java/deployment/security/trusted.jssecerts
security: Loading certificates from Deployment session certificate store
security: Loaded certificates from Deployment session certificate store
security: Checking if certificate is in Deployment denied certificate store
security: Checking if certificate is in Deployment session certificate store
security: Checking if SSL certificate is in Deployment permanent certificate
store
network: Connecting https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.jar with
cookie
"JSESSIONID=kRn0LM2BGlxv20nlJsyJ18MyS0nh6j9rHh2mThDSXNnFj37hwj8S!749068277;
_WL_AUTHCOOKIE_JSESSIONID=jjdDFjG8wkYbs4EimFn1"
network: ResponseCode for https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.jar :
304
network: Encoding for https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.jar : null
network: Disconnect connection to
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.jar
Reading certificates from 11 https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil:/pmweb/openmap.jar
| /home/charlie/.java/deployment/cache/6.0/19/2f796113-46371890.idx
network: No certificate info for unsigned JAR file:
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil:/pmweb/openmap.jar
network: Cache entry not found [url:
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/com/bbn/openmap/openmap.properties,
version: null]
network: Connecting
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/com/bbn/openmap/openmap.properties with
proxy=DIRECT
network: Connecting
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/com/bbn/openmap/openmap.properties with
cookie
"JSESSIONID=kRn0LM2BGlxv20nlJsyJ18MyS0nh6j9rHh2mThDSXNnFj37hwj8S!749068277;
_WL_AUTHCOOKIE_JSESSIONID=jjdDFjG8wkYbs4EimFn1"
network: Connecting
https://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil/pmweb/openmap.propertieswith proxy=DIRECT
network: Connecting socket://i3appzn.i3.disa.mil:443 with proxy=DIRECT
PropertyHandler: Unable to locate as resource: openmap.properties
OpenMap(tm) Version 4.6

  Copyright (C) BBNT Solutions LLC. All rights reserved.

  See http://openmap.bbn.com/ for details.

liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled
liveconnect: JavaScript: calling Java system code
liveconnect: JavaScript: UniversalJavaPermission enabled

The browser status bar says the applet has loaded and is running, but it's
just a gray panel with no map. There is something about this latest version
of xorg and Gentoo Linux that is the cause, but I don't have any more ideas
what it could be. Has anyone seen anything similar or have an idea? Thank
you in advance!

-Charles