Re: [OpenMap Users] OpenStreetMap Layer

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 20:10:14 -0400

Hi John,

Thats certainly one way to do it, if the osm files are small enough to fit into memory.

If you want to render an osm directly, you would create a new layer by extending OMGraphicHandlerLayer, and override the prepare() method to create and return an OMGraphicList for display. You would parse the osm file and create OMGraphic objects to add to that list.

For larger files, (and a faster-responding map), you would want to create image tiles. openstreetmap.org has details on how to create your own tile set from the osm files. If you have those, you can use the com.bbn.openmap.layer.image.MapTileLayer to display them (it's in the beta version available via svn on the website).