[OpenMap Users] Speeding Up isPointInPolygon

From: Sutphin, William B CIV NUWC NWPT <william.sutphin_at_navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 07:25:10 -0400

Hi

I am doing a simulation that builds a beam pattern as a shape, moves the beam pattern around the surface and counts things inside. The beam pattern is usually a "V" shape (depending on the horizontal beam width angle) and five degree segments that make the closing arc. Profiling the application shows a lot of time spent figuring out if things are inside the polygon or not.

Is there anyway I can speed this up? I'm open to all ideas including accepting a little less accuracy in the "is inside" detections. Also am not adverse to hacking the method to pass in more reusable objects. A lot of things tend to be way out of the shape, so some early detection ideas might be good to avoid isPointInPolygon altogether.

Thanks

Bill Sutphin