[OpenMap Users] Trouble Using RoadFinder

From: Gerhardt, Trevor R <tgerhardt_at_alionscience.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:55:54 -0400

I am currently using OpenMap 4.6.5 to load in a shape file containing
road data retrieved from esri.com and need to find the best route from
one lat/lon point to another. I have a MultiRoadLayer that appears to
accurately draw the roads loaded in and have retrieved a Route from the
RoadFinder.

My first problem is that, depending on the scale of the map and the zoom
level, I retrieve different and seemingly inaccurate data from the
getPathOnRoad method. My second problem is that if you ask for a best
route that is not currently viewable in the bounds of the projection it
will not actually get the best route because the data it asks for is not
retrieved and stored when the projection is changed. The solution is
probably related.

Am I just completely overlooking something that is an easy and simple
solution?

Why would the lat/lons given by the intersection and road data be
different depending on the zoom level? Shouldn't the intersection and
road data be exactly the same internally and only the displayed points
be converted? Could it be a fidelity issue and if so is there a way to
turn up the fidelity? Is there a separate list maintained that contains
or will retrieve the same road data each time that was directly loaded
from the shape file that does not get modified when converting to the
displayed shapes? Were the Roadfinder and MultiRoadLayer classes only
set up as templates and guides for what you can implement yourself and
not actually supposed to be used out of the box?

Are there any significant changes to the roads in 5.0 that could give me
options or tools to solve this?

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,

Trevor

Trevor Richard Gerhardt

Software Design Engineer