[OpenMap Users] ImageTileLayer with large images

From: Pete Flugstad <pete.flugstad_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:58:01 -0500

I've got 250 2MB of image files - they're BMP's with essentially
WorldFile data with them.
They're tiled over a fairly large area. I'm loading into OpenMap
using the ImageTileLayer.
And well, it's not performing very well.

The first thing I noticed is that the
WorldFileImageReader.getImageTile is loading the buffered
image of every image, even if that image is never displayed or visible
in the current projection.
So, I commented that out and that helped a lot.

Now however, when the projection needs to load the images, it's
calling getBufferedImage
on each one, which again takes a long time. I've tried playing with
the imageCutoffScale
(BTW, the JavaDoc for that probably needs updated - it looks like it's
a ratio instead of
a scale now), and I can't seem to figure out how to get it to stop
even if they are not visible. Is there a way to set this up so that
once the scale gets out that
the image isn't loaded and you only see an outline of the image?
Ideally, I'd set this so
I'd never see more than probably 9 images at a time - once I scale up
beyond seeing 9,
I just get the outline. Is that kind of thing possible?

Also, the background property in Layer - is that meant to work
standalone, or do I need to
create a BufferedLayer and put the layers i want to buffer in it?

Thanks,
Pete