Re: [OpenMap Users] ImageTileLayer with large images

From: Pete Flugstad <pete.flugstad_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:18:10 -0500

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 1:47 PM, dfdietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> The ImageTileLayer is at the mercy of JAI, and there are some images that,
> for some reason, take a while to read.  I haven't found out what the difference
> is between these image and other images that load and display quickly.

They're just BMP's which I would expect to be quite fast. Any feeling
if they'll
go faster if I convert them to GeoTiffs? I've done that with some other images,
and it feels like they go faster.

I'm also seeing JAI take a LOT of RAM to read in these files. It causes the JAI
read to fail and fall back to the FileCache mechanism.

> For your situation, I think there is another solution - the beta version has a new layer,

Yup, I'm using the Beta already.

FYI, I tried to use gdal_translate to turn my BMP's into GeoTiff's,
but for some reason,
OpenMap didn't like those Geotiff's - there was something missing.
The data I have
with the BMP's is the lat/long of the 4 corners of the image.

So I punted and just added code to read my "worldfiles" like the
current WorldFile
code in OpenMap (and I've probably confused you now).

> the com.bbn.openmap.layers.imageTile.MapTileLayer, which uses map tiles like
> OpenStrretMap and Google maps.  You can use GDAL to make the tiles out of
> your images, using gdal_merge and gdal2tiles.py.

Thanks - I'll take a look at this.

> I think the latest version in the repository
> has the modification that lets the gdal tiles be used,

The StandardMapTileFactory I have mentions GDAL.

> if it doesn't there will be an
> update checked in tomorrow.  The difference is, you have to add a transform to the
> layer so it can figure out the right way to look up tiles for lat/lons.  Details are/will
> be in the javadocs for the layer.

I'll check again tomorrow to see if you check anything in. Thanks!

> Let me know if you have questions,

>> Also, the background property in Layer - is that meant to work
>> standalone, or do I need to create a BufferedLayer and put the
>> layers i want to buffer in it?

Pete