[OpenMap Users] Calculating Scaling for a Projection

From: John Haager <jhaager_at_topiatechnology.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 09:14:30 -0800

Happy Holidays, everyone!

I'm in the process of building a new map projection for use in OpenMap (Lambert Azimuthal Equal Area). I've gotten all the drawing math worked out, but I'm stuck on the scaling issue. I have the projection drawing the map at a fixed scaling, but I haven't been able to figure out how the scaling works. I've seen the "pixels per meter" constant value, and I've got a scaling factor. There also seems to be a "world" value in the Azimuth base class. How do all of these values fit together to properly calculate the scaling to use for a particular set of values?

John Haager, Lead Software Engineer
Topia Technology, Inc.
jhaager_at_topiatechnology.com