Re: [OpenMap Users] CADRG and Image quality

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 23:05:59 -0500

Hi Steve,

Looking at the image, I doubt that it was taken at the full resolution
of the data. I've seen that effect before, and it occurs when you are
zoomed out past the native scale of the image. There are a couple of
things you can do to test this out. First, you can run the RpfFrame
directly on some of the frame data. The path to the frame is the
argument to the class:

java -classpath <path to openmap.jar>
com.bbn.openmap.layer.rpf.RpfFrame <path to a frame file>

This will print out all of the attributes of the data and launch a
frame so you can look at it in its native scale.

Likewise, you can run the RpfTocHandler to look at the table of
contents file, and see what the data creator thought the scale of the
images should be. You would run that class as an application on the
top level RPF directory that contains the A.TOC file.

The effect is being caused by the scaling OpenMap is doing on the
tiles to make it fit the projection parameters. If the
MapRequestHandler was being given a request where the projection was
in the native scale of the charts, it would be clear of the effects.
The tiles are being scaled using a Bilinear algorithm, and that's
causing the problem.

I've made changes to the OMScalingRaster class that lets you set the
scaling transform type, so a nearest neighbor algorithm could be used
instead (although that has different problems, it gets a little blocky
at times). I've also updated the RpfLayer so it can set the scaling
transform type on the tiles. Those changes will be available in the
beta shortly. I could advise you on how to update your version of
OpenMap if you need me to.