Re: [OpenMap Users] UTMProjection field immutability

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 10:37:14 -0500

The center of the projection, or requested image, should be somewhat
close to a UTM zone for that center. If you start using a UTM
projection too far from the central meridian of a zone, the accuracy
of the coordinate transformations suffer. When wandering into the
neighboring zone area, the accuracy of the coordinates deteriorate.
Using a center point on the opposite side of the earth from a UTM zone
really won't have meaning. Northing and easting values are offsets
from the real x/y origin of the zone of the projection (the central
meridian and I think, the equator, someone correct me if I'm wrong),
the basis for the UTM meter coordinates.

So the center should be chosen with the proper UTM projection in mind.
 You can use the UTMPoint to figure out which zone is most appropriate
for a given lat/lon.

- Don