Re: [OpenMap Users] Optimizing Performance

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 23 May 2011 12:16:08 -0400

Hi Ruben,

All of the suggestions posted are excellent, but Jesper points a key
question. I know you say that 40ms repaint is a requirement, but why?
 Are you tracking things that are moving? How many? Updating at that
rate will involve a lot of rendering for very little payoff - zoomed
out maps will have objects barely moving at that frame rate unless
they are moving very fast, but even then it would be hard to see
changes at that rate. You might want to check to see if the map
location of your objects have changed before deciding to repaint,
instead of checking whether the objects have moved geospatially. If
you are changing how things look (vibrating map objects to highlight
them, changing their color, etc), I can understand why you would want
the update rate to be something higher. In that case, you might want
to buffer several maps together with different rendering parameters,
and then loop that set.

- Don