Re: [OpenMap Users] Optimizing Performance

From: Ruben DF <rdocasalf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 17:46:28 +0200

Hi Jesper,

2011/5/23 Jesper Berglund <jesper.berglund_at_pertexo.se>

> Has the map changed during the 40ms, like panning or zooming?
> Is there objects on the map which has changed?

The map has layers which don't change, i.e, they are statics (into a buffer)
and has layers which change during a certain piece of time (less than 40ms)
and my timer (actually I have a dedicated thread, not a timer) sleeps until
40 ms. The objects are:

   - a set of 5 OMLine which are moving continously (They are vector of
   sensors which track a plane). We need to refresh each 40 ms (25 hz) to get a
   smooth movement. Less than 25 hz looks like it OMLine was not a constant
   movement
   - a set of 5 OMPoly (as an icon) which are moving continuously (they are
   the planes). We need to refresh each 40 ms (25 hz) to get a smooth movement.
   Less than 25 hz looks like it OMPoly was not a constant movement
   - a set of points (made with OMPoint) which are the trace which is given
   by the planes. I think the big problem is here, since I generate 12 points
   per second (12hz), there are 3 planes, then, there are 36 points per second
   which are generating, i.e, after 10 minutes, there are 21600 points, and the
   computer must render all of them...this cause computer get slower...

> Don't repaint all layers, only those who might have changed.

Of course, I'm just repainting only layers which have changed, i.e: sensors,
planes and traces

> Repaint only on changes of data.
>
> If there is a burst of events, coalesce during a timeperiod and then
> repaint using javax.swing.Timer .

Yes, I have a dedicated thread to generate and repaint the layers, is a
timer a better choice?

> These are the measures that I have made in my Openmap app.

Thanks for your advices :)