RE: [OpenMap Users] Questions about latest version of OpenMap

From: Howie, Jeffrey A. <Jeffrey.Howie_at_gd-ais.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:36:34 -0500

Any idea when v5 will be non-beta?

-Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Don Dietrick [mailto:dfdietrick_at_gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:15 AM
To: Howie, Jeffrey A.
Cc: openmap-users_at_bbn.com
Subject: Re: [OpenMap Users] Questions about latest version of OpenMap

Hi Jeff,

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 5:17 PM, Howie, Jeffrey A.
<Jeffrey.Howie_at_gd-ais.com> wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I'm using the latest release of OpenMap (v4.6.5) and am trying to upgrade to
> v5 beta, and have a few questions:
>

> 1)      When is v5 going to be released and no longer considered beta? I'm
> attempting to figure out if doing the upgrade will fit into my project
> schedule.

I know I've been saying pretty soon for a while now, but very soon.
The code base won't change except for a couple of bug fixes, at this
time it's an administrative holdup.

> 2)      Where can I find the list of new features/changes since the prior
> released version?

This is one of the things that is holding it up, I'm still compiling
the list of changes, which will be posted in the CHANGELOG in the
package.

> 3)      I built v5 beta and dropped the resulting jar file into my project
> only to see hundreds of compile errors. Many of the
> features/methods/variables I've been using have changed or were removed.
> Where do I find the documentation on mapping the usage of the previous
> version to v5?

The main changes that affect backward compatibility are:

- com.bbn.openmap.LatLonPoint has been movied to
com.bbn.openmap.proj.coords.LatLonPoint
- LatLonPoint now extends Point2D, and getX(), getY() are used to
retrieve double precision lat/lon values
- LatLonPoint can't be instantiated directly, you have to use
LatLonPoint.Double() or LatLonPoint.Float, just like Point2D.
- The Projection classes are now based on Point2D objects instead of
Point and LatLonPoint. Using generics, any projection extending from
GeoProj returns LatLonPoints as an extension of Point2D.

Your IDE should be able to fix the import path of LatLonPoint for you,
and that should greatly reduce the amount of time it takes you to
upgrade to OM5. There will be a short document in the package
describing the most common changes I had to make to the OpenMap layers
for these changes - it was the same thing over and over, and I made
those changes in a couple of hours.