[OpenMap Users] MGRS grid square less than 100 km

From: Farwell, Michael D - GS <MICHAEL.FARWELL_at_itt.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:01:39 -0400

All,

I'm new to MGRS and OpenMap, so please bear with me:

Does the OpenMap MGRSPoint class take into account MGRS grid squares that are less than 100 km? For example, UTM zones at the equator are 666 km wide. The 1N zone has 8 columns A-H. B-G cover a full 100 km. A and H are incomplete and cover approximately 33 km each. This information is from the following website (http://www.andrewlesley.freeserve.co.uk/gps/UTMMGRS.html). Also, the picture showing the MGRS grid of Honolulu on Wikipedia seems to back up this information.

The following code produces 100000 and 200000:

MGRSPoint mgrsp = new MGRSPoint("1NAA");
System.out.println(mgrsp.easting);

mgrsp = new MGRSPoint("1NBA");
System.out.println(mgrsp.easting);

I would expect it to produce 100000 and 133000. Hopefully, I'm wrong and my understanding of MGRS is incorrect, but I need help understanding the discrepancy I'm seeing. Thanks.

Mike Farwell

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may be proprietary and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of ITT Corporation. The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses. ITT accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this e-mail.