Re: [OpenMap Users] What is the future of Openmap?

From: Tore Halset <halset_at_pvv.ntnu.no>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 12:49:56 +0200

Hello.

We are using OpenMap trunk (aka v5b) in production and has done so over a long time. Both in a swing client and a wms server. The code is working just fine.

The project, however, is not in good health. The lack of a v5 release is not a problem for me, but the fact that OpenMap is so locked down to BBN has become a greater problem over the years. From time to time, I send in a patch. This is now done be sending the patch to Don, who then merges it with his own work. And then, some time later, Don send his work to a person in BBN. This is not a very smooth and open process.

My wishes for OpenMap would be the following:
 #1) Move the code base to a distributed version control system like mercurial or git to make it easy to contribute.
 #2) Switch to a true Open Source license like BSD, MIT or Apache. LGPL is also fine, but not GPL.
 #3) Allow for non-BBN committers to the main branch to open up the project and spread the workload of handling pull requests.
 #4) Start working on a v5 release.

With #1, #2 and #3 in place, the people in need of #4 can start working on it instead of waiting.

Regards,
Tore Halset
Long time OpenMap guy