Re: [OpenMap Users] Question regarding OpenMap license agreement

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 22:52:35 -0500

Hi Jonas,

Here's what I would do.

Section 3 of the license means that if BBN decides to do what you need to do to the OpenMap code, you can't claim ownership of those modifications after the fact.

If you take OpenMap code and change it to meet your needs, you have to comply with section 4 of the license, and I would rename the classes you change - put them in a different package, modify the name of the class, whatever. You can send those changes to openmap_at_bbn.com and make notes in the source code on what you changed (4a or 4c). You'd have to make the source code for that derived code available somewhere.

If you simply extend the class, you don't have to do anything for section 4. But you'd have to include openmap.jar in your application and that means you have to acknowledge that you're using OpenMap in the credits section of your app, basically doing (5a).

I think that's it.

Oh, yeah, btw, I'm not a lawyer. But I hope this helps,

- Don