[OpenMap Users] MGRSPoint bug or confusing documentation?

From: Lecomte, J-Francois <JFLecomte_at_rheinmetall.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:15:54 +0000

I am not very familiar with coordinate systems, but...

In the class MGRSPoint, the following constructor exists :

    /**
     * Create a MGRSPoint from UTM values;
     */
    public MGRSPoint(final float northing, final float easting, final int zoneNumber, final char zoneLetter) {
        super(northing, easting, zoneNumber, zoneLetter);
    }

When I read the documentation of this constructor, I expect the zoneLetter to be in UTM (either 'S' or 'N'), but this constructor calls super, which is:

    /**
     * _at_param northing The northing component.
     * _at_param easting The easting component.
     * _at_param zone_number The zone of the coordinate.
     * _at_param zone_letter MGRS zone letter
     */
    public ZonedUTMPoint(float northing, float easting, int zone_number, char zone_letter) {
        super(northing,
              easting,
              zone_number,
              MGRSPoint.MGRSZoneToUTMZone(zone_letter));
    }

In this constructor, it is clear that the expected zone_letter is for MGRS. I don't know if there is a bug in the MGRSPoint constructor or if this is only a documentation issue, but this lead to many bugs in my current project... I think it would be a good idea to document the parameters of the MGRSPoint constructor...