[OpenMap Users] OpenMap and very large GeoTIFF files

From: Greg Jewell <greg17_at_jewell.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 19:29:23 -0400

Hello,

Has anybody had any experience trying to get OpenMap to load very large
GeoTIFF files? I am able to display an image that is about 35MB in
size, but it takes a significantly long time to load. (Our normal
environment doesn't utilize JAI native libraries, but even with the
libraries it's still pretty slow.)

We were recently given several files that range in size from 700MB to
3.3 GB. With the maximum VM heap size set to 1GB, I get our of memory
errors even on the 700MB file. Setting it higher will prevent the out
of memory errors, but the imagery doesn't display. Changing the tile
cache size hasn't had any apparent effect, either.

My environment is Windows XP 32 bit, Windows 7 64 bit (with the 32 bit
JVM), and OpenMap 4.6.5. Does OpenMap 5 use something other than JAI to
process GeoTIFF images? JAI development is dead, I'm afraid, and it
seems to really struggle with larger images.

As far as I am aware, the imagery is valid and uncorrupted -- PhotoShop
loads it "just fine".

Thanks,
Greg Jewell