Re: [OpenMap Users] OpenMap and very large GeoTIFF files

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 21:42:13 -0400

Hi Greg,

To be honest, when I get a very large image file I want to display, I
use GDAL to create image tiles out of it (Like Google
Tiles/OpenStreetMap tiles) and then use the MapTileLayer to display
it. GDAL will merge files to let you create a large area tile set,
too. GDAL has a command line script that you point at an image (or
set of images) and tell it where to put the tiles, and you're done.

If you use GDAL to create tile sets, you have to set the MapTileLayer
with a com.bbn.openmap.dataAccess.mapTile.TMSMapTileCoordinateTransform
so it knows how the tiles are laid out (the y tile coords are opposite
of OSM tiles).

The MapTileLayer takes properties about the tile set so it knows how
to display it. You can keep the properties in a tiles.omp file
underneath the tile set root directory, or set the properties on the
layer itself. The javadocs for MapTileLayer have more information.

JAI is probably the best bet when handling images of this size, but as
you've noted, it doesn't really handle really large images very well.

- Don