[OpenMap Users] How to retrieve names of places from OpenStreetMap data?

From: Bin Liu <liubin79_at_msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2012 21:38:58 +0800

Hi, I am new to GIS and just start to learn OpenMap. Now I meet a basic problem that is how to get info of places, such as buildings, streets and so on. My work is based on a software having a GIS module based on OpenMap. Using that software's API, I can get the com.bbn.openmap.layer.shape.areas.AreaShapeLayer instance. Then by areaShapeLayer.getAreas().getGraphics().getOMGraphicAt(i), I can access to each OMGraphic, such as OMPoly and OMPoint. But oMGraphic.getAttributes() returns null, which I expected to get the Key-Value Map info. My sample data is OpenStreetMap data from http://metro.teczno.com/, and I convert it to shp and dbf files by Quantum GIS with OpenStreetMap plugin. In both OpenStreetMap and Quantum, I can read place info, such as ABC school or XYZ hospital. In my software with OpenMap module, I can also see the signs of places, like OMPoint? But I need to know how to retrieve these info, like names by OpenMap API. Please Help! Best regards,Liu, Bin