Re: [OpenMap Users] Timeline from propeties file, examples?

From: Gary Briggs <chunky_at_icculus.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 12:12:21 -0400

Realistically, CSVEventLayer is unlikely to be my long-term solution,
but it seems like a really great start.

For want of a metaphor, I'm thinking of trying to implement a soccer
game using it; the players run around a lot, but they also take actions
such as passing the ball to one another [and there are lots of balls,
and I want to overlay information about the players]. I'll have to think
about what's a usefully generic way to declare it. I also specifically
need to leave trails showing where players have been, ideally with the
ability to color different segments of the trail differently. [eg, red
might be when the player was carrying the ball and green when they
weren't]

I only heard about openmap because one model we're using at work uses
it. The model works off a mysql database, but... the authors of the
model's maptool implement a separate program in C++ that pushed to a
network link layer in openmap, and implemented their own timeslider
there [with rich control over what you get to see rendered]. It feels
like it might be better implemented by drinking the openmap component
kool-aid wholesale. Not sure.

We have other models that I would also like to use openmap for rendering
results from, but using link layer to model-specific tools seems less
appealing to building a common format that all these tools can export to,
and load using openmap components.

Out of idle curiosity, do you actually work at BBN?

Thanks,
Gary