Re: [OpenMap Users] [Patch] update openstreetmap server

From: Gary Briggs <chunky_at_icculus.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 16:37:32 -0400

On Mon, Aug 19, 2013 at 10:12:55AM -0400, Don Dietrick wrote:
> All good points.
>
> I think I need to add some sample properties files to the website download section that illustrate how to configure the MapTileLayer in different ways (including your examples). You might want to check out the MapTileUtil class, too - you can use it to say, grab a set of tiles (filtering on area and zoom levels) and move them to another directory. The main() function has some examples, some commented out, on different ways you can use it.

Oooh, that's a good idea. Maybe that could just be a wiki type thing? I'm
already building a set of openmap.properties files for various tasks
locally; one that manages all the event stuff [that I think I showed most
of the pertinent parts of the other day], and another that contains map
tile layers that work with a whole bunch of different map servers.

For what it's worth, the last time I used it, we found the best map tiles
[that were licensed appropriate for our use] was by showing openstreetmap
partially opaque, on top of mapquest aerial.

It's like a poor man's google hybrid or something :-)

Gary