[OpenMap Users] Openmap as a server (but not image server?)

From: Esposito, Christopher <christopher.esposito_at_boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:47:07 -0800

Hello All,
    I'm working on an interactive Openmap GUI (for adding, deleting, and
moving items on the map) that will wind up as part of a distributed
agent-based system that is mostly written in Python, although some of
the pieces the GUI will talk to are also in Java. After much searching,
discussion, and evaluation of a few alternatives it appears that
directly interfacing Java and Python is quite problematic, to say the
least, partly because the java-based pieces are in a subordinate role -
we would be trying to "wrap" the java pieces in a Python layer so that
they look just like the other Python-based agents. From what the local
Python developers tell me, this rules out things like Jython, which is a
python interpreter embedded in Java.

As an alternative we are now looking at messaging approaches like SOAP
to be able to cross the language barrier; the various agents send
messages to the GUI piece when they need it to update something, and
user interaction is converted into messages that go out to the various
agents as appropriate. Two questions:

1) has anybody used Openmap in this fashion? Any tips, tricks, gotchas
to pass along?

2) In digging through the mailing list archives I see references to
Openmap as an `Image server', but I also get back hundreds of hits from
the archives from this search. I have found the javadocs for some of the
relevant classes here, and it sounds like the functionality provided is
narrowly defined to responding to requests for pieces of a map rendered
as JPEG images, or something similar. Have I correctly understood the
function of the ImageServer-related classes?

Thanks,
Chris

Chris Esposito, Ph.D.
Associate Technical Fellow