RE: [OpenMap Users] Servlet environment - Beginner Question

From: Vitaly Khait <khvitaly_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 18:10:25 +0200

Greetings, Don!

This one is really helpful!
Although I've discovered this approach a little before it is very
important for me to know that I understand the OpenMap architecture
correctly!

As you said it's enough to extend the MapRequestHandler to handle a
Query type of request and fire a mouse events of new type, so that
they can be catched by appropriate layer.

This approach seems like working, but raises some scalability
concerns, at least in my case. Since the layer data is time-variant,
the image presented to user doesn't conform to the state of the
database (the location has changed since the image was rendered). So
far I've found several soultions, when each one seems a little bit
problematic:

1. To store the state (rendered locations) per session
(space-consuming, what about multiple windows per session?)

2. To query the state from database with provided timestamp, which's
possible since the history is also stored (time-consuming, may require
locks on db)

3. To send a state to the client side and let the browser decide which
LocationID it wishes to request. In this case in order not to burden
the browser too much the state should be sent in some precomputed form
(i.e Voronoi diagram), which's CPU consuming.

All of theese are not really scalable, but I fail to find any more
efficient - I am not experienced in web programming at all.

The only escape I can see is to move a part of functionality to the
client side: javascript, AJAX, etc. Some threads ago there was
discussion of using an OpenMap as an image server coupled with some
client-side toolkit. This option I am now considering

If you have some hints on the usage of OpenMap for dynamic maps as a
part of web application I would be really thankful!

Thanks once more!
Best regards,
Vitaly