[OpenMap Users] recommendations for bike route planning software

From: John Didion <jdidion_at_muze.com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:16:47 -0700

With all the tools/data available today, it seems like it should be
possible to write an application to do the following:

1. Given a starting and ending address, generate the N shortest
routes between the two points
2. For each route, get the latitude/longitude coordinates for each
point along the route at M meter intervals
3. Get the elevation E of each point
4. Calculate the actual surface distance of each route by summing
the distance between each set of consecutive points: sqrt(M^2 + (E -
Eprevious)^2)
5. Calculate the time to travel each route using some calculation I
haven't figured out yet

I'm confident I can figure out how to do it given the right tool(s) and
dataset(s). My questions for the group: 1) is OpenMap the right tool for
this? 2) what datasets should I use?