Re: [OpenMap Users] recommendations for bike route planning software

From: Geoffrey Knauth <gknauth_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 17:23:54 -0400

This is a great idea. Personally I'd like to find a bike route
between Hanscom Field (Bedford MA) and Cambridge that is downhill
both ways.

In all seriousness though, the elevation data can be gotten from SRTM
( http://srtm.usgs.gov/ ). But imagine biking through a Greek
village (up and down, up and down, ...). If you didn't use the
finest resolution data, you might lose the hilliness in the
averages. Also, you'd want road condition and road width and traffic...

Shortest path info by street might be available commercially. I
don't know who would have all the street info publicly available. If
it were, you could roll your own shortest path algorithm.

As for travel calculations, I found when the elevation change was
just 100' over 10 miles, for some reason (being out of shape?) it
took me 30% longer to cover the distance going uphill.

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk