Re: [OpenMap Users] Process for Change ??

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:21:43 -0500

Hi JR,

On Feb 7, 2007, at 11:24 AM, JR Andreassen wrote:

> Hi...
> I read that you're planning a new release here sometime(soon I
> hope :).
> Is there a process for getting changes put into the next release.

Sure, you would just sent them in to openmap-users_at_bbn.com or
openmap_at_bbn.com.

> I have a couple of chanegs that I'd like rolled in.
> I've mentioned these before, though I've not gotten any response.
> I understand we're all busy and don't have time to chatter, but
> there are some
> changes that would be beneficial to those of us who rather not
> change the base source.
> (I'm not critisizing, just trying to contribute)

That's OK, we appreciate the contributes and criticisms. Sometimes a
feature isn't in a component because we wrote something we needed,
and we didn't need a particular feature that is entirely obvious for
a different use case.

> 1) In-Mem spatial Index, I posted the to some people already.

I am interested in seeing what the difference is between yours and
the one in the toolkit.

> 2) Object labler/formatter class. ( I have one for Shape labler )

Sure, sounds interesting.

> 3) Tracing Labels for polylines(only on shape files) that hides
> lables that are labeling object too mall)
> Here I could use access the calculated text/font metrics etc.

I think you can get that stuff from an OMText, no? Interesting idea
for the tracing label, how does it affect performance (memory usage
and generation)?

> 4) Filter on the Shape dbf stream to eliminate the columns we're
> not intrested in.
> (Would be very handy, some of the shape files I have are in the
> 1/2-1 Gig range(200MB shape, 800MB dbf).

This one is interesting and needed, too.

They all sound like good improvements, please go ahead and mail in
what you'd like to contribute.

Regards,