Re: [OpenMap Users] Measuring Distance on Map

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 10:23:43 -0400

Hi Frank,

The distance measurements have nothing to do with the projection.
They are based, rightfully so, on elipsoid (Geo) and spherical
(GreatCircle) models. As you move north, distances between
longitudes get smaller (look at a globe with graticule lines and
measure the physical distance on the globe between longitude lines).