[OpenMap Users] Re: Issues with Drawing Layers

From: Shawn McNaughton <shawngmc_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 13:13:09 -0400

I've been looking into my issues a bit further, and my implmentation is down
to three main issues. I was able to work around one of the previous issues,
however.
The first one ("Whenever I zoom out too far, I get a blank map display, or
one that only has the very edges drawn on."), I'm forcefully limiting the
scale of the map. I can't use the Proj class Max scale, because on
MapBean resize it recalculates. It seems to be giving a value that is just
too large, but I'm not sure. My 'hack' is to add a projection listener, and
whenever the size of the MapBean changes, take the 'maxscale' it calculates
and multiply it by .96. Not perfect, so I'm open to suggestions.

The remaining issues I have are:
(1) Repaint on resize: Our map is in a JInternalFrame, and it has an issue -
most prevalent on Solaris - in which if I resize the frame down, the map
appears to redraw once at the old size. I say redraw because the
JInternalFrame border fixes itself. If I force a redraw by moving any
JInternalFrame over the affected area, that are covered by the replacement
component is fixed. My next step on this issue is to add a ComponentListener
to the InternalFrame and try a revalidate() on the desktop - I've tried this
with repaint to no avail.
(2) Occasionally, Top-Most layers won't draw: Sometimes, when the bean is
created, it simply doesn't draw the top most layers. There's really no rhyme
or reason, and on average it appears to be 1-3 layers, but there is no
console entry. Often, at least one of these is a custom AbstractPlugIn.
(3) Layer ordering: Also much more prevalent on Solaris, but I've seen it on
Linux as well. I can't seem to get OpenMap to ensure the order in which
layers are stacked programatically. At first, I thought it was the order
they were added. I've now moved on to using layerHandler.moveLayer(), which
works better, but still doesn't work. I assumed 0 for the lowest layer (for
example, WMS) and higher numbers get drawn on top. Is this right? Is there
something else I'm missing?

Any other bugs I've got pretty easily tracked back to my own code. :)

Any help is greatly appriciated!

Shawn

--
Shawn McNaughton
Software Engineer I, Raytheon IIS State College -