[OpenMap Users] MouseModes performance problem

From: Le-Faly <andri_faly_at_yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:29:23 +0000 (GMT)

Hi Folks,

I have my Openmap module inside a JInternalFrame of my application. The problem is related to a performance problem when dragging JInternalFrames (which, I think, is a symptom only of a bigger problem):

1- When I am in a zoom Mouse mode, JIF dragging occurs correctly (performance speaking) whatever the action I am doing.

2- When I switched to Pan Mouse mode, JIF dragging occurs correctly if I do nothing but only changing to this mode with the appropriate button. But when I make a map Pan action, JIF dragging becomes very slow, not only for the openmap JIF but for all JIF in the application. Processor level is around 50%

3- When I am in a Nav Mouse Mode (from scratch, not after 2, since when 2 problem occurs, it does not stop anymore), the performance problem occurs again as soon as the paintRectangle() of NavMouseMode class is called. When I put it in a comment and restart the application, JIF dragging is fine again (but obviously, no rectangle appears), and fine for that mode only (the problem stills remains when switching to Pan Mouse Mode).

4- The same problem for selectMouseMode

My analysis, but I may be wrong, is that the paintRectangle() method of "Nav Mouse Mode" and methods of "Pan/Select Mouse mode" that I could not identify call a method that launch a permanent(?) thread which overloads the processor. But I could not find it.

I believed first that the problem is related to some paint() method in MapBean or to the SwingWorker() process in OMGraphicHandler. But these methods are also called in a ZoomMouseMode and everything is fine.

What may be the reason of the problem please? This is important since it affects all performance of the application, even the part which is not related to Openmap.

ps: this does not depend on whether a map is loaded or not. When I am in a ZoomMouseMode and a map is displayed, everything is always fine whatever the action I do in that mode. Inversely, even if no map is displayed, the problem occurs in the other modes.

Thanks in advance for help.

Regards,

Faly