Re: [OpenMap Users] license

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 13:14:20 -0400

Hi Pete,

The OpenMap license was submitted to OSI a long time ago, but the
committee didn't like or understand one of the passages in the OM
license - I think it was the part where BBN has rights to Derivative
Works (item #3), which is intended to allow BBN to create something
that they see someone else make with the OpenMap code.

The OpenMap license was intended to be very similar to the Sun
Artistic License v2, but that wasn't written when the OM license was
written and approved by BBN legal.

I'm in favor of BBN modifying the license to be that Sun Artistic
License v2 simply to put user's minds at ease, and there are BBNers
that would be OK with the change (it's been discussed), but I don't
know if there's enough horsepower within BBN to get the legal
department to sign off on the change.

Cheers,

Don