Re: [OpenMap Users] RE: AreaHandler.getProperties()

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 14:25:06 -0500

OK, here goes, a hard date. We've got a code freeze set for January
11th, and we expect to cut the 4.6.3 release on the 13th. I've been
going through back emails, looking for stuff I set aside to
incorporate into the next release but that I may have overlooked.
We're mirroring the 4.6.3 branch codebase in the CVS repository
available on the download page on the website, so if anyone notices
that something they expected to be the next release is not there, let
us know either at openmap_at_bbn.com or openmap-users_at_bbn.com as soon as
possible. Anything that doesn't make it in by the freeze will get
pushed to the upcoming 4.7 release.

So, there's also a working 4.7 branch that we haven't made available
yet, the significance of the 4.7 release being that there will be API
changes that may not be compatible with 4.6.2-3 and before. The main
features of the 4.7 release is that LatLonPoint extends Point2D, and
the Projections have been updated to think in terms of Point2D
objects. This paves the way for displaying pre-projected data.
Also, the projection library will be updated to handle double and
float precision calculations. We'll be making the beta for this
available after the 4.6.3 release.

One of the goals Bill and I had for 2005 was to get into a cycle
where we make about 3 releases a year, depending on how much time we
have to devote to other projects. We're still hoping to get to that
point.

Cheers,

Don