[OpenMap Users] Newbie questions....

From: JR Andreassen <janrune_at_io.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 11:30:17 -0500

Hi Folks....

We're in the starting phases of a mapping project and are looking at
integrating OpenMap with our application.
I've looked through most of the doc's and the FAQ etc. but there are
still some things that I'm unable to
figure out.
Please keep in mind that I'm new to GIS(though not to Java/Swing) So,
here we go:

The application:
We have a Java application that is used in a fleet of vehicles and would
like to integrate GPS and some mapping functions.
Our main goal is to do GeoSpatial queries based on a set of coordinates,
like
"Static" functionality:
    What road am I on (Line in Layer X)?
    What area am I in (Layer Y) ?
    What is the closest point in layer Z ?

We would also like to have some very basic dynamic layers.
    Plotting my vehicle(frequently), Others in the fleet(less frequently).

First and most important question
Would OpenMap be a good match ?
How long would it take for a OpenMap Novice to get some basic
functionality operational?
I know these are kind of

Issues so far:
How to you specify the base map ?
 I can't find any reference on where to change the base map Image.
(Or is there a way to specify a Shape/other as the background)

Does it /How do I handle Quadrangle/TIFF images ?

Does it /How do I handle Segmented data and transitions?
We have several datasets that we'll be based on
(http://www.capcog.org/Information_Clearinghouse/geospatial_main.asp)
These data sets(roads, etc) are split into areas(counties) since they
are rather large.

Does it /How do I handle monster datasets ?

Does it /How do I handle Lat/Lon to Layer serches ?

If anyone can shed some light on these issues for me it would be
appriciated.
  Thanks
     JR

JR Andreassen