Re: [OpenMap Users] OpenMap Projections

From: Don Dietrick <dietrick_at_bbn.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:57:59 -0400

Hi CS,

OpenMap expects data to be provided in decimal degree lat/lons (or
WGS-84). The projection type of the application is just for display
purposes.

If your data is pre-projected, you'll need to convert it back to
lat/lons in order to display it in OpenMap. The ShapeLayer does have
properties that allow you to define a
com.bbn.openmap.proj.coords.GeoCoordTransformation class that will
convert the coordinates for you. You can use the classes defined in
that package for that layer, or you can write one of your own and have
the layer use that instead.

In general, the transformation properties look something like this for
the ShapeLayer (called rocks in my openmap.properties file, for
coordinates defined in the UTM projection). These properties accompany
the other ShapeLayer properties that would help in defining the layer:

rocks.transform=com.bbn.openmap.proj.coords.UTMGCT
rocks.transform.zone=42
rocks.transform.hemi=N