Re: [OpenMap Users] Trouble Using RoadFinder

From: Don Dietrick <dfdietrick_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 16:14:23 -0400

Hi Trevor,

All of your questions are valid ones. The explanation is that the
author decided to do the route calculations in x/y space, making the
fidelity of the information completely dependent on the projection
view (area covered and scale).

This package needs to be updated to do these calculations in lat/lon
space, but those modifications won't be implemented for OM5. The
layers that use the code were used for a demo/proof-of-concept a while
back, and we didn't have a chance to update it.

I was going to suggest looking into modifying the code to use a
projection you define, one that covers all of your roads with a small
scale value for good fidelity, but as I look at the code that'll
introduce some problems with the display, especially if the projection
changes. It's almost as much work as just making the modifications so
the code just works in lat/lon space.

I wish I had a better suggestion.

- Don