Re: [OpenMap Users] where to find map data files

From: Geoffrey Knauth <geoff_at_knauth.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 10:51:51 -0500

Chuck,

You could sample colors and key the AreaShapeLayer as Carston and Don
suggest.

Pastel colors: http://www.amaps.com/collecto.html
Michellin colors: http://www.amaps.com/michelinwall.htm
Bright colors: http://www.amaps.com/tyvekwor.htm
Gabelli colors: http://www.amaps.com/gabelli.html

For the 4-color problem, there are algorithms online if you have all
the vertices:

http://www.math.gatech.edu/~thomas/FC/fourcolor.html
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Four-ColorTheorem.html

But then again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_color_theorem#Not_for_map-makers
http://www.personal.psu.edu/cab38/ColorBrewer/ColorBrewer_intro.html
http://www.icaci.org/
http://library.scsu.ctstateu.edu/mapcartbib.html

Some maps of ancient battles make good use of color:

http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/web03/atlases/atlas%20home.htm

Geoffrey
--
Geoffrey S. Knauth | http://knauth.org/gsk